Town Signage and Circulation Plan
As outlined in the Village Center Redevelopment Plan, the Town of Carefree is committed to building upon its core to improve the value of the Town Center area for both visitors and residents. In particular:
1. Improve arrival awareness
2. Improve wayfinding signage
3. Improve internal pedestrian connectivity
4. Create safer and improved pedestrian and bicycle connectivity from adjacent and proximate Carefree neighborhoods
5. Slow traffic on Cave Creek Road and Tom Darlington Drive
6. Ensure an adequate and functionally accessible parking distribution
PROCESS AND TIMELINE
The Town has hired Kimley-Horne to prepare the plan, which will include:
- Master Signage Plan
- Conceptual Circulation and Parking Plan (vehicles, bicycles and pedestrians)
- 30% engineering plans for Tom Darlington and Cave Creek Road adjacent to Town Center
October 2021 - A 14 member stakeholder group was comprised of residents and businesses. This group provided input and guidance on the plan as it evolves in the form of technical memorandums.
April 4, 2022 - The most recent version of the plan was presented to the Planning and Zoning Commission for review and comment. This included the first two of four technical memos and the most recent conceptual drawings.
October 12, 2022 - The Town hosted an Open House at Council Chambers inviting the public to learn and ask questions about the Town Center revitalization efforts. Citizens were asked to provide their input on Signage, Parking & Circulation, and ideas for the Town Center Revitalization.
October 17 and October 25, 2022 - The Planning and Zoning Commission (P&Z) and Town Council respectively each reviewed the document for a final time in order to incorporate any last thoughts before the draft goes through the formal adoption process.
November 14 - The Planning and Zoning Commission receommended approval of the Comprehensive Signage Plan for Town Council Approval.
June 6, 2023 - Kimley Horn presented the Comprehensive Signange Plan for Council approval. This presentation included updated budegtary cost estimates. Based upon these estimates, Council asked staff to reconvene the stakeholders, add some additional members and futher evaluate the Comprehensive Signage Plan to maximize cost to value.
December 13, 2023 - The revised stakeholder group was assembeled for a kickoff meeting to review the remaingin scope and objectives to finalize the plan. It is anticipated to have 2 stakeholder workshop sessions in January 2024.