Streets & Right-of-Way

Public Street Maintenance


The Carefree Streets and Right-of-Way Department manages public street maintenance in the Town and oversees right-of-way permits for work occurring in the right-of-ways. The right-of-way includes the Town’s public streets and the respective shoulder area.
 

Bike Lane Project - Complete

The Bike Lanes Project is complete! The addition of almost 9 miles of bike lanes in partnership with the Town of Cave Creek included the widening of existing pavement to provide continuous bike lanes in both directions, roadway restriping, pavement markings and signs for bicycles, and a slurry seal application to all roadways in the project area. 94.7% of the project was funded by a Federal CMAQ (Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality) Program for bike/pedestrian projects; the Town provided the remaining 5.3% through HURF (Highway User Revenue Funds). Now Carefree residents and visitors have safe and scenic bike routes to enjoy!

This project was administered by the Arizona
Department of Transportation with the cooperation
of the Towns of Cave Creek and Carefree.
The ADOT Project Hotline number is 855-712-8530
or projects@azdot.gov
 

10-Year Pavement Preventative Maintenance Plan


Approximately every 7 years, the Town evaluates the condition of streets to determine and prioritize the level of maintenance to extend the life of the streets. On January 10, 2012, the 10-Year Pavement Preventative Maintenance Plan was considered and approved by the Town Council.
A curved road going through a town
Plan Overview
The 10-Year Preventative Maintenance Plan gives an introduction to pavement preventative maintenance. It outlines why asphalt typically cracks and a summarizes the different procedures used to minimize this effect and prolong the life of streets.

The plan summarizes the results of the 2011 evaluation of the Town’s streets and outlines the recommendations for the type of maintenance, scheduling, and the estimated cost. The recommendations are grouped into larger projects that will occur in intervals over a 10-year time horizon.